Tuesday 3 July 2012

Giving a new lease of life to old, worn objects.

Lately I have got  a passion for giving a new lease of life to old, worn objects. First it was my coffee table which my Grandad made from an old piano when my Mum was a child, which I have had in my house for years. If you can picture a very dark brown, varnished table, a bit worn, wonky and scruffy. Made or bodged (as my mum would say - thrown together in 5 minutes!) but totally loved by me! This is what I did to it....ready??????

Can you tell that I totally LOVE bright colours? I painted this using old wood paint that my hubbie had stored in his garage.The top half  is painted bright sky blue and the piano legs a lovely mauve colour. The  best part was sticking all sorts of bright buttons from my stash all around the edges. I LOVE it even more now, and it has pride of place in my lounge, ready to put my cups of tea and cake on. My Mum said to me that my Grandad would also love what I had done to it = Phew!


Then we had  a couple of breakfast bar stools that were looking really rather worn, all torn and hanging apart! I managed to find a piece of material for £1.00 from my local sewing shop and I had a go at covering the seats. 

Now that these had been given a new lease of life, it meant that the drab, white wooden stalls also needed a good paint........again using old wood paint from hubbies garage...............


                          I have added this photo of me, just to prove to you all that I do paint lol!

Tah - dah!! All coordinating in lovely bright colours!  
Next came an old standard lamp which was originally a varnished, beach wood base with an old cream lampshade.I bought this at a car boot sale for a bargain £7.00. Not only did I paint the base but I also created a rather arty lampshade..............


This is the mauve, stressed effect base and here in the original lampshade before I messed with it............. (You can just spot my cairn terrier Lily having a sniff around above.



I added bows, roses, ribbons, buttons and black lace from my crafting stash to give it a rather original feel.....


Not to everyone's liking, but to mine it certainly is hehe!! Below is my lovely lamp in my lounge............


Note the crochet throw ( the first thing I ever crocheted) and the blooming flower cushion, taken from my favourite blog http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/blooming-flower-cushion.htmlc  (This link will take you to Lucy's tutorial so you can have a go at making one for yourself).
Two more projects to show you then I'm done!  Recently I have finished my Grandparents 1940's dining chairs, (more detail can be seen on them in the previous post on my page.)


And finally I have just completed my Nan's old  shopping basket and turned it into a rather delightful basket which now holds my current crochet projects. 
Starting from this..............


Firstly, I painted it using the same porcelain blue wood paint that I used for the chairs.


2 coats of paint were needed. I chose the following material which I wanted to make my padded lining from....


I totally adore this bright fabric, I have also used the same fabric for the bunting that hangs in my lounge......


I think you can just about make it out in this pic? What is my littlest man watching on tv?? Answers on a postcard please.............. 
Next I made the padded part of the lining for the very bottom of the basket......


Using my sewing machine I sewed them all together, leaving a seam allowance to attach the outer lining to.



At this point I do have to give full credit to my darling hubbie. Even though I made the lining myself, it was his expertise and explanations of how to make it that got me through!!!! Plus the first time around I made the lining to small and it would not attach around the sides of the basket, but my hubbie came to the rescue and explained how I could get around this wee problem without having to completely start again. Would you like to see the finished product???? Here goes..............


Using ribbon I managed to work my way around the handles of the basket (again hubbies clever idea- what would I do without him eh?)



It now has my current crochet project in so I can carry it around in style! Now, I really do think I have actually run out of wooden furniture and items to paint, so I will have to go hunting at those car boot sales. I do have an idea in mind though. I would love an old fashioned wooden bureau which I could paint in a very bright colour, and deck the inside out with equally as bright decorative paper....... anyone got one that needs a new lease of life?? 


No comments:

Post a Comment