Friday 27 July 2012

Chutney & Cheesecake!

Hi! How is everyone? What have you all been up to? (comments below please!) 
Since the start of the summer hols I haven't had chance to be very crafty. You remember I said that I would make some new granny squares and show you the results in my next blog? Well, unfortunately I haven't had chance to have a go! I will try, and as soon as I have created some I will write a separate post......hope you don't mind? 
My friends first baby is due in August ( she is having a baby girl) so I am desperately trying to crochet her a cardigan. I am slowly getting there, as it is rather fiddly and the hook I am using keeps catching on the thin wool. I have never attempted a baby cardigan before, so its been an enjoyable learning curve for me. Would you like to see what it looks like?


I have got a little further on than you can see in the pic. I have about 7cm of shell work to go and then I have to crochet the arms and finish it off. I do so hope it works out! - I will keep you posted.

Whilst I think about it, I must just show you this......


I meant to include this pic in my last post. My littlest man created these stone sculptures when we had our lovely day out to Church Ope Cove. He was even rubbing the stones together first thinking that the static would hold them together. It was lovely to just sit back and watch him concentrate.

So, back to what I was telling you (my excuse for not creating anything handmade). I did have a day of baking this week. I made some green tomato chutney- a real favourite of mine as my lovely Nan used to make this, and as a child I ate it with most my dinners - yum!. And a delicious strawberry cheesecake (hence my post title!)  

Green tomato and apple chutney


Ingredients you need:
225g light soft brown sugar
850ml malt vinegar
900g green tomatoes, roughly chopped
900g Bramley apples, cored and roughly chopped
225g sultanas
115g raisins
225g shallots (I used onions and couldn't find shallots)
Juice of 1 lemon
25g salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground mixed spice


We grew our tomatoes in our green house so due to the lack of sunshine we had plenty of green ones!







1) Put the sugar and vinegar into a large pan, over a medium heat. Stir often, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients and return the mixture to boil.


2) Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Check if the chutney is ready by dragging a channel through the mixture (with a wooden spoon) so that the bottom of the pan is visible. If the channel fills immediately with liquid, the chutney is not yet ready. cook for a further 10 mins and check again. The chutney is ready when the channel does not fill and the mixture is very thick.


Like so!....



3) Remove the pan from the heat and leave to stand briefly. Carefully pour into hot sterilised jars and seal. Allow the chutney to cool completely before labeling and storing in a cool, dark cupboard. Store for at least 2 months before eating. (we couldn't wait and opened our first jar the next day, it tasted lovely but I am saving the others for 2 months time!)

Now for the cheesecake..... yummy!

Strawberry cheesecake




Ingredients you will need:
125g digestive biscuits
75g soft butter
300g cream cheese (I used marscapone)
60g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
250ml double cream
fresh strawberries

1) Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until beginning to turn to crumbs, then add the butter and whiz again to make the mixture clump.

2) Press the mixture into a well greased tin; press a little up the sides to form a slight ridge.

3) Beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.


4) Lightly whip the double cream, (notice my lovely Nan's old whisk I am using in the pic above) and then fold it into the cream mixture.


5) Spoon the cheesecake filling on top of the biscuit base and smooth with a spatula. Put it in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.

6) When you are ready to serve, slice your strawberries and place on top - perfect!



Very tasty it was too. If you have a go at making either of these recipes I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.

Right I am having a quiet day at home today so I am actually going to get creative this afternoon, once I have folded up the lovely sun dried washing. I won't tell you what I am going to make today, you will just have to wait until next time!

P.S - We are away on our 2 week camping holiday at the end of next week. I will try and use my phone to add the odd pic here and there of our adventures. If you don't hear from me you know where I am - "wish you were here!"
I will see you soon, have a lovely summer xxx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes-ive always wanted to have a go and taste green tomato chutney. Now just have to source some green tomatoes!! :D x Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green tomato chutney is really scrummy! You are most welcome. I hope you give the recipe a go and find those green tomatoes. If you cant just make it with red tomatoes Im sure it will taste the same xxx

    ReplyDelete