Monday 5 November 2012

My 70's vintage flower afghan (slowly making now!)

I saw this appear in my news feed on Facebook a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with it. I suddenly had the urge to make one myself....

The very clever Heidi from Speckless wrote a wonderful piece on how to make one of these. You must go over and take a look. I love revisiting her fabulous blog and seeing what she has been up to. Heidi managed to make  a flower with a green edging by just crocheting, rather than using a  flower loom. However I loved the idea of a flower loom and decided to hunt one down. I found a brilliant flower loom on ebay.  Its called a Hana-Ami flower loom, and comes with different sized and shaped looms. the looms are all contained in a handy carry case. The instructions are brilliant too, and these flowers are extremely easy (and very fun) to make.  My friends daughter came over, she is 6 years old and loved making the smaller sized flowers.You can use ribbon, wool, raffia and anything else you can think of to make round, square or hexagon shaped flowers. 

This is my first attempt at using the loom. I have so many ideas about how to use all the flowers that I make. Although, so far I have only used the large circle loom to make similar flowers to the vintage throw.


I found some chunky white wool which I have used for the daisies. The  centres are  made from doubling up some yellow DK yarn and over stitching into each petal. I haven't worked out how to make the larger more prominent flower centres like the original 70's throw. If any of you out there know how to, then please let me know .I  then double crocheted around the edges in a green DK yarn.


I have also made some colourful flowers as I was unsure whether I wanted to make an updated version in some brighter colours.....

 
In the end I decided I liked the vintage look of the plain white daisies with the yellow and pale green, so that is what I am working on now. This is how much I have done so far.........


 The pic above is the right side ip and the lower pic in the wrong side up. I feel that this may be a long, but very enjoyable and satisfying project....... Catch you next time, Natasha xx

3 comments:

  1. No kidding -- those little loomed flowers really take a long time to make! This is going to look amazing when it's done, though. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi, thanks for taking the time to pop over to my blog. Will let you know when I finish it........ 10 years from now lol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two full thumbs up for this magneficent article of yours. I've really enjoyed reading this article today and I think this might be one of the best article that I've read yet. Please, keep this work going on in the same quality. tell the bell survey

    ReplyDelete