Saturday 17 November 2012

My son's heirloom crochet blanket

A while ago I promised my 2 boys that I would make them each a crochet granny square blanket for their beds. To keep them warm and snugly at night, and to have something to  for them to keep, and hand down to their children (if they have any!) later on in life. Something that I had made for them. My husband wanted me to make one for our bed too. I had just started to learn to crochet, (granny squares were what I first learnt) and he requested a blanket for our king size bed. Mmmm, I thought, this could take a fair while! Each square took me an hour to crochet. I made 90 squares in total, then there was the tucking in of the ends, joining it all together and then making a border around the edges. Well I made 2 squares a day over last winter and by the end of January I had finished.............



We do really love it, it stays on our bed all year around too. It really is very snugly and cozy. Having seen this one, both my boys said "I want one too". So I half heartedly set about making theirs next. They both wanted to have their blanket made first, so to make it fair I did a bit at a time on each blanket. I kept putting them down, as other projects arose and I was getting a bit bored of the repetitiveness of the granny squares and using the same colours. But now winter is here again I have been inspired to finish the blankets off. Here is my littlest man's blanket all complete........



I have used a mix of granny stripes and granny squares. Mainly to stop me getting bored of making the same thing!




Apologies for this last picture being around the wrong way. For some reason my laptop will not allow me to rotate it! You will just have to crane your neck sideways or if you have a laptop turn it around - lol! 
In the end I decided to concentrate on just the one blanket at a time. I cannot stand to feel bogged down with making things, and would rather complete one project at a time. That way I am satisfied that these rather larger projects do get completed in a shorter space of time! Now to start my bigger ma's blanket. This is going to be very random, with granny squares of all shapes and sizes and granny stripes. Here is a sneaky peek of what I have made so far .........


Before I proceed with the above, I have just been asked by my step-daughter if I could crochet her a  handheld games console cover. So I am currently working on this this afternoon. Speak soon, Natasha xx

No comments:

Post a Comment